Monday, March 14, 2016

Final Divorce Agreement 6: If you don't include it, it won't matter


Maybe someone else's experience has been different (and do remember that I am not a lawyer, this is all my personal experience. Get a lawyer to get advice for yourself), but my experience has been thus:

If we didn't include something in our final agreement, then it isn't there. I know, that sounds super obvious. But consider: there are some topics that I didn't include in my agreement because I never thought it would be an issue.

For instance, there are some things that I thought were obvious. That of course we wouldn't have any issues with that. But my ex eventually put up a stink and now I wish I put those things in the agreement.

I know I am being vague, and it is mainly because every example I can think of has a "yes, but what about this..." application. In other words, I wish I had put some things in but at the same time there was a reason that I didn't. Whether it was because there wasn't a good way to put it in the agreement without it affecting other things, or it got left out in the negotiating process, etc.

I just wanted to tell you that what I have run into is if it isn't in the agreement, then it hasn't applied to my case. No matter how common sense I consider the issue to be.




For Past Final Divorce Agreement Posts, read:


Final Divorce Agreement 5: Contact Information

Final Divorce Agreement 4: Arrearage

Final Divorce Agreement 3: Transportation

Final Divorce Agreement 2: Life Insurance

Final Divorce Agreement 1: Always Reread the Document

No comments:

Post a Comment