Friday, February 27, 2015

What to Take With You to Court

Find yourself wondering what you should take to court?

Here is the list of what I personally take:

1. Your Case Binder. We will talk more about what goes into your case binder later, but make sure you have all of the paperwork you need. I even like to have past paperwork so that I can reference things that have already been said or submitted. Think about it this way: if you don't have it with you, you won't be able to access it. My lawyer brings his laptop for all of this.

2. Pen and paper. Few reasons:
  • I am rarely able to take notes because everything is happening so fast, but it is good to have the option. 
  • Sometimes you will want to say something to your lawyer and it isn't always easy to. Your lawyer has to be able to listen to what is going on in the room and what you have to say sometimes has to wait. So, sometimes I have written down what I want to tell him and he then looks at it when he is able to.
3. Water bottle or at least a mint. If you get nervous and your mouth gets dry you will need something. You can't just excuse yourself to go get a drink. 

4. If you are a girl, take an extra hair clip or something. You want to look nice, and you don't want to be worrying that you look scroungy.

5. Money. Your court house may charge for parking. You will also need money if you need to make emergency copies of something. Which is not necessarily available wherever you are.

6. Your ID. You never know when you will need your id for something. I don't think I've ever used mine, but it is a generally good thing to have.

I am sure there are other things that I will think of, but in the mean time this list is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment