Monday, August 3, 2015

When Should You Take Off Your Ring?



This is something that every single divorced person has to deal with at some point.

When do I take off my ring?

I personally struggled with this. Because on one hand I saw the ring as symbolizing something very hurtful that went down in flames. On the other hand, people interact with you differently if you are wearing a ring.

Because, in my opinion, you are not "on the market" again before the divorce is officially final. Judge signed, copy recieved, divorce recorded, etc.

Wearing a wedding ring signals to people that you are not available (or at least it should). Especially in the middle of a nasty divorce, I didn't want to deal with people not realizing that I wasn't available or that I didn't want any flirts.

-Not that I got that many, lets be honest here.

I did take my ring off before my divorce was officially final for 3 reasons. 1) I was so sick of wearing the symbol of something that should have been sacred. 2) I was ready to mentally move on (not dating wise, just mentally be in divorcing mode) and 3) I wasn't having any real issues with other people flirting.

Actually, I really did like my ring. The whole divorce was sad, of course. But, loosing the ring I loved was sad too.

So, what do you think? When did you take off your ring?



No comments:

Post a Comment