Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Do you need to rehash all the details of your paperwork in court?

The last time I was in the court room, I about had a heart attack because of all the details my lawyer wasn't talking about. All the points he wasn't arguing.

I kept thinking, "We are letting the opportunity to argue these points and make sure that the Commissioner knows the truth pass us by!"

And meanwhile my ex was rehashing every single detail (and untruth) from his paperwork.

But then, in the end, the Commissioner made his decision as if we had argued all our details.

My lawyer told me later that the Commissioner reads all of the paperwork, and so we didn't need to rehash every little detail.

Now, I have also had instances where the Commissioner said that he didn't look at a specific piece of paperwork, so... that was frustrating.

But, I digress. I was told that the Commissioner in general reads the arguments and is prepared before you get there. Not that you shouldn't say any of your points, of course.

But personally I will be keeping this in mind before I have a heart attack.

It is hard because the court literally has your life in their hands and it is natural for you to want to make sure they have all the facts. There really is no easy answer when it comes to court.

What it all comes down to is... talk to your lawyer about it and make sure your paperwork is in order and complete. Plus, when the Commissioner looks back in your case to see what has happened, they will look at your past paperwork.



No comments:

Post a Comment