Tuesday, December 8, 2015

How to document texts




In any kind of court case, it is important that you fully document any evidence. This can include text messages. 

Sometimes someone will text you something that might be used in court, or sometimes you may want to just document any communication you have with someone to protect yourself.

My first attorney told me to literally take pictures of the text. I literally just snap a photo of my phone and the text on it, like in the picture above only there would be a text there. (note: this is not a picture of my phone, but a picture of a phone). 

And then I also keep a copied log of all texts and emails together in a timeline of how I received them.

I have submitted text messages with key information on them as evidence and they helped my case. Though, a note to you, ask your attorney if you need to submit the whole conversation. I had submitted text messages that could stand by themselves, but the court wanted to see both sides. This makes it hard when someone sends you a text and that is the extent of the conversation. That is part of why I log text messages in chronological order, too. 

I wish I didn't have to be so thorough in logging. But when you are dealing with people who have no problem lying, then you have to document things just to protect yourself, to be able to show the truth about how simple events happened.

Remember, I am not an attorney. Ask your attorney about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment