Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Can you marry someone with different political views?

The Question: Can you marry someone with different political views?

The Answer: Yes... but should you?


My ex was one of those that I think agreed with my political views while we were dating, just to appease a subject he knew was important to me. I always just assumed he wasn't as interested in politics as I was. When we'd talk about something and he learned more about it, then he would agree with me.

But then, when we were married, more and more things would happen until one day I had to admit: He's a [insert opposite political party here]! Or at least he often leans that way.

That had nothing to do with why we got divorced, or why we separated. But looking back, it definitely wasn't something that strengthened our marriage.

We all feel so dedicated to our beliefs, be they political or not. Same thing with religion, though probably more so. If you are at odds with your spouse over something so important to you, then it doesn't help anything.

I'm not saying it will kill your marriage, I am only saying that it won't help.

Next time I am marrying a [insert my same political party here]. And not one who is wishy washy. He's got to know what he is talking about.

By the way, while we are on the subject of politics, I am totally voting for [insert presidential candidate's name here]. And now you all know!

No comments:

Post a Comment