Friday, July 15, 2016

How long will my divorce take? A divorce time line.

The question is: How long will my divorce take?

or

How long until my divorce is final?


The short answer: forever and a day.


Just kidding. Kind of.  It was just a couple or maybe three months between first meeting with a lawyer and our first court date. In total it was about 7 months until the divorce was final. BUT that is very fast. 7 months is nothing in terms of divorce time. It only went that fast for me because we did a bifurcated divorce. Follow the link to another post I did about my bifurcated divorce.

Then it took just under three years to get to a judge signed final order.

Then... it is never over. Especially when you have an ex that likes to fight about everything. I am in and out of court all the time.

Something to remember, though, is that my case is very toxic. So we had testing and evaluations that we had to wait for. So, if you and your spouse are in agreement over everything and there aren't any extenuating circumstances, then your will probably go faster.

This is just my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment