Saturday, October 10, 2015

Divorce and Social Media

Especially if you are going through legal proceedings, be careful about what you put on social media.

Really this is good advice for everybody, but it very much applies to those getting a divorce.

Why? Because you will be looked up. Your ex, their lawyer, maybe other third party professionals. They can all find out a lot about you on the internet. And things found on the internet CAN be used for or against you.

Bashing your ex, posting about wild parties, being generally rude, etc. are all things that can effect someone's perception of your character.

And once you put it out there it can never fully be recalled. Pictures, that really can say a thousand words, can be copied.

This is why I have a strict policy to not bash. I speak the truth, I do it tactfully, and I just keep a lot of things to myself.

It's not that you can't post, but be careful about it.

For example, I have a friend that got divorced a while back. I knew nothing of the divorce except from what I learned on Social Media.

She posted on Facebook a comment that announced the divorce, talked about her personal feelings, and said the general gist about what was going on.

He posted a very rude, slandering comment about how she was an awful mother and how he was glad to get away from her.

Which one do you think I naturally felt was handling it better?

Just, like in all things, try to handle yourself with class.





No comments:

Post a Comment