Tuesday, May 5, 2015

It Only Takes One To Mess It Up

When I was first telling people that I was getting divorced, I got a whole range of reactions.


  • Some people immediately guessed what part of the problem was. And they were amazingly right. 



  • Some people responded awkwardly, not knowing what to say. I don't blame them.



  • Some people who knew my situation congratulated me. Which is also awkward but I appreciated their understanding.



  • Some people chastised me. And this is what I am going to talk about today. 

I had lots of people respond with something like this:


"Oh, Hunny, it takes two to keep a marriage successful." 


Or something like:


"Marriage is hard. You need to work through it."


I would just clear my throat awkwardly and, without telling all of the details of the divorce to this person who obviously knew nothing about it anyway, tell them that the situation had become dangerous, and I didn't have a choice.

Because, yes, it definitely takes 2 to keep a marriage successful. That is so true! 

But it only takes one to mess it up. This is also true. And you can't expect someone to stay in a dangerous situation just for the sake of not getting a divorce.




No comments:

Post a Comment